Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a Concept Modeller. The Concept Modeller will work within the Art Department and in conjunction with the Modelling team.
The artist will create and sculpt character prototypes as well as design in 2D as required. Their models and designs will inform the crew of the intended visual direction required for the movie. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the Production Designer and Artist Management.
- Produce appealing models to a high standard with a thorough understanding of shape, scale and form for Maya models
- Research and source as required any imagery to help with the production of the 3D concepts
- Work within/produce – topology/wire frame, turntables, character sculpts
- Assume responsibility for ensuring assigned work is produced to appropriate standard quality within the scheduled timeframe and deadline
- Ensure a high level of communication is maintained with the Art Director and Production Designed as well as the Modelling Supervisor (if required)
- Produce quick sketch ideas and iterations to inform on intent as briefed
- Take a rough design through to a fully realized rendered 3d image
- Utilise Maya and other 3d software to realise images
- 3 + years’ experience on animated feature films
- 3 + years’ experience in Modelling and/or Art & Design
- Experience with doing rapid iterations of a sculpt under the direction of the Art director and/or Production Designer
- Experience in producing conceptual modelling without a supplied design
- Able to demonstrate an expressive and cartoon aesthetic
- Ability to interpret 2D illustrations into 3D form without the need for extensive turnaround artwork
- Knowledge of and experience using Z Brush and Maya
- The ability to create models that consider the camera lensing of the movie
- Experience of working in a feature film pipeline
- Proficiency in both hard surface as well as organic modelling techniques and topology
- Proven technical and visual skills with an understanding of art and design within animation environment
- The ability to work in a collaborative environment and take direction
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve
- English written and oral communication skills and the ability to connect with a wide variety of personalities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas and work under pressure
- Willing to learn, and contribute to the success of the team and project
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members
- Ability to take direction and feedback and apply this to assets or shots moving forward
Salary range CAD$60,000 -79,999 and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have teams based in Sydney, LA and most recently Vancouver, within the creative precinct of Yaletown. Production on our first Vancouver-based animated feature The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part has just wrapped, with more animated features in the pipeline including DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
Animal Logic is currently in production on Peter Rabbit 2 and is creating visual effects for Captain Marvel. Recent productions include The LEGO® Movie 2: The Second Part, Peter Rabbit, The LEGO® Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO® Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.