Everything will be awesome when you’re part of the team! Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for Matte Painters (Multiple levels). The position involves working closely with the Production Designer, Art Director and Matte Painting Lead to create believable environments, stylized 2D and 3D matte paintings, and help in the creation of an animated feature film. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the Matte Painting Lead and Artist Management.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Create digital matte paintings that may be from scratch or from sampled sources or any other artwork necessary to create new objects or to match the surfaces of existing plates
- Perform tasks related to integrating imagery into shots, preserving a unified sense of lighting, perspective, and colour
- Work in partnership with Lighting and Compositing to achieve the highest outcomes
- Understand the animation process, including projection techniques, modelling and texturing
- Continue to actively develop relevant knowledge, techniques and skills including knowledge of technical processes in CGI, Animation and Compositing. Have a thorough knowledge of all tools available to the artist.
- Continuously develop your skills and keep up on changes in the industry
- Work in a collaborative environment, take direction and contribute to ensure that the highest creative standards are achieved
- 3 + years’ experience in the film, animated feature and/or television industry
- 3+ years’ Matte Painting and/or Environments experience
- Experience in producing artwork for large screen format
- Thorough understanding of perspective, lighting, and colour
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Nuke and Maya is required for both projection setups and image creation
- Other software skills that would be an advantage would include Mari, Zbrush and Vue
- Thorough understanding of Photoshop file and colour management, be it file format, bit depth resolution or appropriate layering of elements
- Ability to understand a brief to allow for the production of matte painted elements at a high standard
- A strong knowledge of photography and camera focal lengths with a good sense of composition
- The ability to produce concept art that conveys the style, lighting and character of the brief would be an advantage
- Tool building and scripting (Python) knowledge is an asset
- Completion of degree program is desirable
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong communication skills and the ability to efficiently organise and prioritise work across multiple areas
- Ability to take direction and feedback; anticipating the supervisors and leads preference
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment and when necessary to pass knowledge to other staff members and departments
- English written and oral communication skills and the ability to connect with a wide variety of personalities
Salary range CAD$88-130k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website. http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are based in Sydney, LA and are now very excited to be establishing a presence in Vancouver within the creative precinct of Yaletown. Production on our first Vancouver-based animated feature commenced in January 2016 with more animated features in the pipeline. Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver.
Animal Logic recently completed production on Peter Rabbit, and is currently in production on The LEGO® Movie Sequel (2019). In 2017, Animal Logic completed production on The LEGO® Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO® Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.