Everything will be awesome when you’re part of the team! Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for Mid/Senior Modellers. The position involves interpreting a variety of media from Concept Art and creating applicable, working 3D models back into the pipeline ready for utilization from other departments. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to Artist Management and the Modelling Supervisor.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Utilize software such as Maya, UV Layout, Z-Brush, and LDD to produce high quality work.
- Produce complex models to a high standard with a thorough understanding of shape, scale and form for both LDD and Maya models
- Work within/produce – topology/wire frame, turntables, character and/or environment
- Produce accurate UVs for models for use in downstream departments
- Interact with tracking systems and production staff
- Interpret 2D designs and translate them into 3D space while maintaining the original artistic intent
- Produce highly optimized meshes that can be rendered and displayed efficiently for downstream departments such as Rigging, Layout and Lighting
- Assume responsibility for ensuring assigned work is produced to appropriate standard quality within the scheduled timeframe and deadlines.
- Utilize good knowledge of emerging technologies to find innovative ways to incorporate these into work processes (in consultation with seniors/supervisors)
- Ensure a high level of communication is maintained with senior artists and production management particularly where situations arise that may compromise the quality or scheduled delivery of material
- Escalate issues or potential issues in a timely manner to leads or supervisor if applicable.
- Distribute and share knowledge regularly to assist in the ongoing development of innovative tools and or techniques for modelling
- Exhibit a keen design sense and proactively provide creative input where appropriate
- Efficiently document workflow and feedback from Leads or Supervisors
- 3+ years’ experience with VFX/Animation software tools and processes for TV and/or animated feature films
- 3+ years’ experience in modelling
- Thorough knowledge of Maya and Z-Brush, with LDD as a bonus
- Solid understanding of hard surface modelling techniques and topology
- Solid understanding of proper edge flow and polygon density
- Solid understanding of the topological requirements of subdivision surface for both static and deforming models
- Thorough knowledge of both hard surface and organic, environments, props, creatures
- Strong understanding of industry standards, conventions, and formats to enable successful completion of work
- Solid understanding of digital production and overall pipeline methodology
- Proven technical and visual skills with an understanding of art and design within animation environment.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to abstract and interpret design down to its’ fundamentals
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Completed education in a relevant field is preferable
- English verbal and written skills are required to fulfil the requirements of the job
To be successful, please include in your reel examples of:
The primary software used for Modelling on The Lego Movie 2 is Lego Digital Designer. You can download LDD for free at: http://ldd.lego.com/en-us/. Please provide your own design using this software and attach a Jpeg of your design to your application.
Salary range CAD$80– 105k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website. http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are based in Sydney, LA and are now very excited to be establishing a presence in Vancouver within the creative precinct of Yaletown. Production on our first Vancouver-based animated feature commenced in January 2016 with more animated features in the pipeline. Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver.
Animal Logic recently completed production on Peter Rabbit, and is currently in production on The LEGO® Movie Sequel (2019). In 2017, Animal Logic completed production on The LEGO® Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO® Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.