Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a Senior Concept Artist (Environments). The Concept Artist will work closely with the Production Designer and Art Director, to visually explore all aspects of the production. They will help define (for the client and the crew) the intended visual direction of an animated film.
The Concept Artist will be able to cover a range of specialist skills with a focus in environmental design. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to the Production Designer/Art Director and Artist Management.
- Understand the project’s creative objectives
- Research and source as required any imagery to help with the production of the concept art
- Work closely with the Production Designer/Art Director to visually explore key moments of the production
- Produce quick sketch ideas and iterations to inform on intent as briefed
- Understanding and translate concept drawings/sketches into rendered artwork
- Create high quality images to capture the mood, lighting and action of the written scenario
- Prepare for and participate in regular work in progress reviews, presentations and briefings from the director
- Prioritize and problem solve and multi-task to complete a brief
- Provide leadership through example – has team spirit, highly motivated, takes initiative, is pro-active, and inspires the same in others
- Encourage and support development of respect, integrity and trust in team members
- 5+ years’ experience on feature films, TV series, or within the gaming industry
- Experience working in a CG pipeline and within a CG 3D environment
- Experience in painting environments with camera lensing in mind; solid perspective and sense of story-telling
- Experience painting in graphic, caricatured styles with a cinematic sensibility
- Skilled in producing quick sketch ideas and iterations
- Strong drawing skills that display a knowledge of perspective and design
- The ability to produce art work that can be translated easily by the 3D modelling department
- Excellent skills in Photoshop and Maya (or other equivalent 3D softwares)
- Experience using Illustrator and Zbrush are a bonus
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment and take direction
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- English written and oral communication skills and the ability to connect with a wide variety of personalities
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong creative capacity; able to innovate while keeping within a brief
- Ability to inspire, mentor, and motivate the team
Salary range CAD$88 – 130k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs
We have teams based in Sydney, LA and most recently Vancouver, within the creative precinct of Yaletown. Production on our first Vancouver-based animated feature The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part has just wrapped, with more animated features in the pipeline including DC’s Super Pets! Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver. Our contact number is 604 398 4800.
Animal Logic is currently in production on Peter Rabbit 2 and is creating visual effects for Captain Marvel. Recent productions include The LEGO® Movie 2: The Second Part, Peter Rabbit, The LEGO® Ninjago Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Alien: Covenant. Other film credits include: The LEGO® Movie, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix.